Ed’s Note: We’ve gotta get back to our regular schedule. I’m going to continue following up on the DJ Jazzy Jeff and Power & Light mess. But TMCY has to re-focus.
So last week, Monica got Carried away concerning shoes, love and BIG — not Notorious. She questioned what you think happened after the simplistic courthouse wedding at the end of the SATC movie. Now, we’re going to take a crack at a few more big & small screen relationships that you should be familiar with from pop culture.
Either Monica or I will give a take on what happened to the relationship and why.
1. Zack Morris & Kelly Kapowski (Saved By The Bell): They played a lot of games with each other, especially during the College Years. I don’t trust it. Zack is too conniving. And besides, he was the show’s player. He got Lisa, Jesse, Tori and The College Years girls. Zack schemed everybody. He’ll scheme on Kelly or she’ll get back with Jeff from The Max. Smh. Relationship length: 4 years, max. ~ Damon … Zack confirms the divorce to Jimmy Fallon, and other ish.
2. Jesse Spano & Albert Clifford Slater (SBTB): Two ginormous egos bound to clash at some point. A.C. went on to find America’s Best Dance Crew. Jesse — the epitome of Pedestal Patty — left to become a bad stripper. Unless you’re T-Pain or Pacman Jones, there’s no reconciliation with a woman who gets on a pole for a living (save the firewomen). Relationship length: 0 days. ~ Damon
3. Laura Winslow & Steve Urkel (and Stephon): A goody-two shoes and a kind-hearted nerd seem like a match made. But, the almighty, snotty, judgmental (I could go on forever) Laura — another Pedestal Patty — refuses to accept Steve as is and reverse psychs him into Stephon. Come on now people, if you have to chemically alter your DNA to make someone like you, chances are, it ain’t gonna work. Relationship length: Even though Steve cloned himself to give Laura the coolness of him, Stephon will surely get tired of her annoying behind and give her the dueces in about 2.8 years. ~ Monica
4. Bam-Bam & Pebbles (The Flintstones): Pebbles’ innocent curiosity and accident-prone nature draws Bam-Bam in as her protector and confidant. They were destined to be together. She was truly the girl next door. Now with twins, Roxy and Chip, the couple are happy in wedded bliss with no signs of anything putting them asunder. Relationship length: They’ll have a yabba-dabba-good time in love for life. ~ Monica
5. Rudy Huxtable & Bud/Kenny (The Cosby Show): They were meant for each other from the moment she called him “Bud.” I knew it. You knew it. Forget Stanley. A man who has a woman’s best interest at heart will win out more often than not. The only thing that could have gotten in the way of this budding best friend romance is Kenny’s older brother and his deafening logic. Relationship length: Life. ~ Damon
6. Darius Lovehall & Nina Mosley (Love Jones): This one is going to hurt. This can’t work the way the film ends. This film, as dear as it is to most of us, is a tragedy. She’s in New York. He’s in Chicago. Yeah, he doesn’t care. But the logistics matter. Besides, they were fools for playing each other in the first place. And Nina tends to listen to Josie’s not-so-sound advice a little too much. Seriously, Nina would sleep with the 29-year-old with 21 kids and a minimum wage job if Josie suggested it to her. Relationship length: They play the “John Legend Track No. 8” game for seven years, and give up. ~ Damon
So… What what do you think happens to these relationships? Do they work or fail?