We all know MJ’s catalog is as endless as it is timeless. In this musical treasure trove are songs to/about a few muses, and in this songs Mike told tales that still ring true today. I’ve ordered Mike’s most notable muses from worst to best.
Lyric: “I’ve been here times before. But I was too blind to see that you seduce every man. This time you won’t seduce me.”
6. Dirty Diana. She’s the worst of the listed muses. Why? She knew of Michael’s previous troubles with Billie Jean, and didn’t care. Diana just wanted to get on, no different from the girls The Game and & Kanye talk about in “Wouldn’t Get Far.” She’d break up a happy home with ease. Diana even went so far as to tell Michael’s woman at home that he was sleeping with her that night. For real, Diana was nothing more than a Smooth Criminal of the heart. Maybe that’s why he was asking “Ani (Diana), are you OK?” Who knows?
Lyric: “She told my baby we’d danced ’til three. Then she looked at me. Then showed a photo my baby cried: His eyes looked like mine.”
5. Billie Jean. This is what happens when fame comes, and you start mingling with girls. Mike told her that he wanted to rock with her on the dance floor and suddenly he “impregnated” her. Now, Mike has to head to Maury Povich because his real girlfriend thinks the baby has his hat eyes. Really, Billie Jean just wants to capitalize and catch MJ up in some drama. Many a celeb can attest to a Billie Jean-like story, and Mike was just trying to warn them all to stay off “the dance floor.” If you know Thriller, the album, Mike quickly reminds you that cause for Billie Jean’s transgressions is just “Human Nature.”
Lyric: “More precious than any pearl. Your love so complete.”
4. Liberian Girl. A muse who caused MJ few problems. He genuinely loved her. She love him. And even more, Mike’s friends loved her. Click the link and check out the video’s star power. Hell, even Weird Al came out for a cameo.
Lyric: “Where did you come from, ooh, and won’t you take me there?”
3. P.Y.T. When Michael came to understand Billie Jean’s Human Nature, he could move on and spit his game proper. He found a new woman let her know that he loved the way she looked, giving her an acronym to fit. He made it obvious that he wanted her upfront by saying that he wanted her to make his “nature rise.” But yeah, that’s how Mike supposedly got in trouble with Diana and Billie, right? Maybe Diana and Billie are pretty young thangs, too? Too bad those heffas couldn’t show him the Good Life. *shrugs* Then again, maybe she’s the one?
Lyric: “You’re every wonder in this world to me, a treasure time won’t steal away.”
2. Lady in My Life. L.M.L. is what happened when the P.Y.T. proves her worth, trust and love to Michael over time. It’s a ballad that will stand the test of time. It’s the final track of Thriller, and it helps put in perspective just why the album is so great. It tells a story familiar to many of us.
Lyric: “You’re always running here and there. You feel you’re not wanted anywhere.”
1. Ben. What? This isn’t a joke. Yes, been was a rat. But he was the inspiration for Michael’s first chart-topping solo single. It’s no surprise that Mike was singing to rat. He was a certifiable genius, and maybe this is the moment Mike came to realize that his crazy would be a part of his genius. Seriously, Mike won a Golden Globe for the song and was nominated for an Academy Award as well. Ben is undeniable.
A few of my fav muse songs from other artists: “Mandy” by Barry Manilow, “Sara” by Jefferson Starship, “Charlene” by Anthony Hamilton, “Maxine” by John Legend, “Victoria” by John Mayer, “Marilie” by Brian McKnight.
What’s your favorite muse song and why?