I must admit it. I haven’t watched this many straight nights of The Tonight Show since Johnny Carson was still on the air and I was a little kid trying to find any reason to stay up past curfew.
For that, I have the ratings-hungry imbeciles who run the Peacock station to thank, since they decided to go “The More You Know” route concerning the latest Late Night Wars and let him roast them for two weeks non-stop. At first he was throwing jabs. But Conan is going out hurling haymakers left and right at the Peacock. He’s even stripped it of a few feathers in the process… all of this on NBC.
It’s sorta like that scene in “Jerry Maguire” where Jerry gets fired. Except Conan — $30 million-plus in tow — is going R. Kelly on everything in sight as he’s walking out the door. You figure NBC could have prevented this by showing reruns the last two weeks. But, yeah, I guess they need the ratings. Seriously, they’ve been promoting it with commercials like it’s some great thing that they pushed him out.
Well, all I can say is that it’s the best real reality television I’ve seen in quite some time. Too bad one of the good guys has been voted off the island. Thanks, NBC.
The Five Questions:
1. How would you define the term “best friend”?
2. What’s the first word that comes to mind when you think of MLK? One word.
3. Name one person you’d switch places with so that you could see the world from his or her perspective.
4. What do you think will result from being forced to pay to read newspapers and magazines online?
5. What’s the one vegetable you hated most as a kid? Do you still despise it?